Toshi's Comix Bargain Basement

Comics from my personal collection, sold at really low prices!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

hyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyper

Friday, October 31, 2003

Parents as People

Last night's Wonder Years episode was a classic.

Kevin Arnold's family is experiencing some financial difficulties, so his dad (Jack) tries to ask his boss for a raise. His boss gives him more than what he expects... he promotes Jack! With the new position comes new responsibilities, so as Regional Manager, Jack has to travel a lot. His first assignment has him flying out the next day. Fortunately, he'll be back by Thanksgiving, so his wife (Norma) hurriedly helps him pack for the trip and gets a quick kiss from her husband before he leaves via taxi. The next few days, we see that Kevin isn't used to not having his father around.

Right before Thanksgiving, Jack calls and tells Norma that he has to fly out again to a different plant. In short, he can't fly home to be with his family on Thanksgiving. Norma suggests that he fly in for a day at least, but Jack counters that it's too expensive.

Thanksgiving arrives and the Arnold household is busy preparing the big meal. Norma especially is unnervingly meticulous when it comes to preparing the food and the table itself. Soon after, she fidgets as if she doesn't even want to begin eating, and tries to delay big-time. Jack's chair, by the way, is noticeably empty. Finally, Kevin blurts out "who's going to carve the turkey" which sends Norma out of the dining room.

A few minutes later, Kevin spots his mom crying in one of the rooms, and he comes in to apologize when the phone rings. Jack is on the other line and tells Norma that he's back, but only for a few hours. Norma hurriedly packs the kids into the family car and drives to the airport. Jack alights from the airplane and he rushes to greet his kids. He also rushes to the woman he married. Jack carries Norma and spins her around before hugging her. Then they kiss, longer than the quick peck he gave her before boarding the taxi earlier.

It's moments like these, Kevin muses, when you don't see your parents as just parents. All you see are two people in love.

The last scene is a very touching black and white picture, of Jack and Norma kissing with the 3 kids at a very young age covered in shadows, peeking at their parents.

Very nice episode.

Sometimes, I just wanna go to my parents and ask them about their past. How they met, how they fell in love, how they decided to spend the rest of their lives with each other. Bits and pieces I know, but somehow I never learned the whole story. Maybe if it was last year, I would have done it, but with all the changes that happened this year, I don't know anymore.

I still see them very much in love. Some tickling, a little teasing and good-natured ribbing. I'm happy that in all honesty I can say that my parents love each other very much.

This year, I have started to see myself as an outsider, looking in. How can one year cause me to be this detached from a family I used to be so close to? I know religion plays a big part in this, being the only non-Christian in the family. Maybe they think I'm going to hell. I sure hope I don't of course.

I guess most of it's my fault. No one told me to build walls.

I used to be so close to my dad...

I dread the coming family meeting this Sunday. I think I'm going to be sick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home