Toshi's Comix Bargain Basement

Comics from my personal collection, sold at really low prices!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

hyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyper

Monday, November 17, 2003

DI-VORCE Thing That Can Happen to Kids

Yesterday's Degrassi episode was about Parents' Day, and how Toby's divorced parents had to accompany him to school together. When the two were put in the same room, poor Toby was stuck in the middle of all their bickering and arguing. His mom even blamed his dad for the poor grades that Toby was getting. They stopped, only when Toby accurately pointed out that they were just using him as an excuse to fight.

Most of my friends belong to broken families. Despite this, they grew up to be really great people. I guess the experience strengthened them and made them appreciate what they have even more.

Divorce would probably be the final option in a doomed relationship. When does one stop being in love? If ever I do fall in love again, I'm scared of having that person fall out of love. I also don't want to fall out. Where's the guarantee in this?

I had a long talk with Kuya Gilbert early morning of Saturday. I asked him if he still believed in love. He said he did. I don't know if I still do. I mean romantic love. Maybe some people are destined to be alone. I've been an extroverted loner for the longest time, I don't see why I can't spend the rest of my life alone. Alone but not lonely. I think I can handle that.

I find it easy to connect to people on a superficial level. It's easy to be nice, just always place yourself in the shoes of the other person, and you realize that we should always be careful not to hurt other people's feelings. People hurt, people bleed, and careless comments can do a lot in damaging a person's belief system and outlook in life. In the same way that a sincere, uplifting comment, can really brighten a person's day. The effect we have on people is so huge, we sometimes forget how just one person can make a life-changing difference.

The people that we allow in, at least, to some degree.

I find it hard to let people in. It's so difficult to lower walls. I know I'm a weirdo. An eccentric sometime-brat that people don't understand. My friends always tell me that they don't understand the way my mind works, the strange manner in which my thoughts are processed by my brain. I don't understand it either. I just think the way I do. I love being alone most of time, going my own way. I just make sure that I don't hurt people along the way.

I found out a couple of months ago that my infamous "disappearing acts" hurt my friends. I go to gimmicks or parties and suddenly disappear without notice, except for one text to someone in the group telling him/her that I have to go. A friend even told me that she found me to be strange. I am so friendly and approachable, but I can be really anti-social when I want to. Whenever I leave abruptly, they said they feel insulted and think that I don't enjoy their company. Nothing's further from the truth. I love my friends. It's just that i wanna go home for different reasons, like to contemplate, or watch TV, or rest and read a good book. It has nothing to do with them at all. It's me. I just wanna be alone a lot of times. I'm just a little unwell, I suppose.

So... this leads to my not wanting to lower walls. I don't wanna get hurt. I don't want someone I like to suddenly shy away from me because of my eccentricities. I don't want someone I like to find me weird. Weird AL. I'd rather not be close to the person instead. I'd rather not love, than love and lose. I'd rather not marry and end up in a divorce.

Speaking of marriage (nice segue), we spent Friday evening at Mario's in Galleria with Lorna, the bride-to-be. That was me, Yanni, Wil and Marcus. Afterwards, I brought the ladies home, just like I used to back when we were all teens, and no one was in a relationship yet. Hmmm. Before the break-ups of this year, for the longest time, I used to be the ONLY SINGLE PERSON in the whole barkada. Everyone else IN THE WHOLE BARKADA was attached! And then people just started to break up with one another this year. Cathy, Joey, Winston, Pines, James and Alvin suddenly found themselves single again. And last I heard, Amor and Ronald's relationship was on the rocks, which was why their wedding for this year was cancelled.

Why? Why do people come together, only to break apart?

Do people really stay together? Do people grow old with each other or do parents all over the world have a conspiracy going? In truth, do they hide from us the fact that no couple remains truly in love, forty years later, and remain together only to propagate the biggest myth of all - -the sanctity of marriage? Is this done to make sure that future generations continue to marry?

Do people still believe in love?

Do you?

Do I?

I don't know.

I really don't know anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home