Toshi's Comix Bargain Basement

Comics from my personal collection, sold at really low prices!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

hyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyper

Monday, January 24, 2005

Entertaining Indies

Early this morning, I started reading Bratpack by Rick Veitch. It’s a book about superhero sidekicks and the corruption of youth and how heroes are blinded to events that happen behind the scenes. That’s the magic of being a comic reader – as a voyeur, you get a glimpse of more than what is shown to our protagonists. Last week, I also read two volumes of Stray Bullets. While it’s a lot more violent than what I’m normally used to, I found myself enjoying these as well. The way the characters came to life, their flaws usually close to our own, and how in the grand scheme of things, people are connected to strangers in one way or another… it’s like a grown-up version of Degrassi!

Altered States

Cathy sent me her holiday pictures via e-mail. She looks even more beautiful now that her hair is longer. Most of her pics are with Martin, except for a few which had Crissy in ‘em as she flew to the States. Was our friendship altered in any way now that she’s in the States? Maybe just a little, ‘coz we don’t see the same movies together or eat out at the same restaurants, but where it really matters, when you strip off the ‘palabok’ and get back to the bare essentials, I’d say it’s pretty much the same. When we YM, it’s like we’re talking on the phone again. I just can’t drive to her place when she’s down tho, like I used to.

Reclaim-ador

Although I’m supposed to end my employment next month, my superiors have requested for a 2-month extension. I… dunno if I can give that. The reason I resigned is because I wanted to reclaim my life. I wanted more than having my life revolve around my job. It’s the only mortal life we’ve got, aren’t we supposed to make the most out of it? Maybe I can extend ‘till March. I hope they find a replacement for me soon so that I can leave without feeling guilty.

BTIC

I like the way BTIC sounds when you recite it as a word as opposed to saying each letter separately. BTIC, BTIC BTIC.

Sunday Fockers

Yesterday, we went to Druid’s Keep in Magallanes. I was with James, Matt, and Zeki. I bought Bratpack and The Mighty Crusaders. We then met up with Wil at Figaro’s in Greenbelt. We ate at the GB foodcourt before watching Meet the Fockers. I was laughing the whole time, but the original still beat the sequel. The movie got me thinking – when I do find the person I’m spending the rest of my life with, a lot of adjustments have to be made, not just with each other, but with the family we would be joining together. That’s a lot of expectations that have to be met. It’s hard enough when you’re in a relationship and you don’t jive with the friends of your partner (thankfully, I’ve yet to experience that). It must be harder when family’s involved.

After the movie, we ate at Shakey’s. I got my usual order – pizza, pasta and potatoes, and supplemented it with an order of a thin crust cheese pizza. For the first time, I didn’t order a milkshake at Shakey’s. Alvin’s right in saying that Shakey’s should go back to their old style surroundings. It’s certainly more comfortable and homey that way. The whole time in Shakey’s, an old jingle of Pizza Hut came running through my head:

Pizza Hut, making it great!
Making it happen, making it quick
Making it thin or making it thick
Making it your way, straight to your doorway
Making it fast, making it last
Making it early, making it ggggreeeeeaaaaaattttttt
Pizza Hut, making it great!

Soon after, we ended up in Coffee Bean. There I saw an old friend, Ayna. Ayna’s the original “Daria.” She’s cynical but realistic, sarcastic but funny. It was nice knowing that she was still with Francis. Maybe long distance relationships do work sometimes.

Then we went home, since James was going to a wake that night. His officemate, the brother of my officemate, passed away.

The Cube

Saturday, I went to Megamall with James and Matt. We met up with Dan to watch Raise Your Voice. It was neat movie, filled with a lot of real-life moments. When Terri’s brother was killed, my eyes were glued to the screen even when there was nothing left to see but white. Seeing the family cope after was painful to watch.

Hilary Duff reminds me of my teammate at work, Ellay.

Afterwards, Dan was supposed to go home already but he ended up joining us. Mom prepared pasta for us. Mark J and Wil joined us for dinner and for The Cube. We played Super Mario Advance 4 and Mario Kart: Double Dash. Halfway through the night, Dre’s sister dropped by to have some Philhealth forms signed. Dre was confined and needed those forms signed before she was released. Naks, work from home hehe. We also had Coffee Crumble ice cream. Mark J and I had this running joke, that everytime he’d drop by the house to join us for dinner, masarap ang ulam.

It’s Tianenmen

Friday night, I went to Tianenmen with Wil, Yssa and Aileen. I thought it was Marcus’ despedida party, but turned out he had 2 months to go still. I missed Marcus a lot. I’ve known him for years. He’s still as naughty and playful as he’s always been. We were joined by Lenin, Ron (one of the managers) and Al A.

Hahaha!

It’s Eat Bulaga on TV and I just heard 2 jokes that made me laugh out loud!

Knock-Knock!
Who’s there?
Madonna.
Madonna who?

Heeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeee’s Aerosmith!!!!!!!!

Madonna close my eyes
Madonna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

*grin*

Knock-Knock!
Who’s there?
Michael Jackson.
Michael Jackson who?

I’ve got sunshine
On a cloudy day
When it’s cold outside
I’ve got the month of may
I guess you’d say
What can make me feel this way?
Michael
(michael, michael)
Talkin’ ’bout michael
(jackson)

BWAHAHA!

Popoymelroti

Popoy’s gone. He flew back to the States last Friday. The other day, we bought his valentines gift for his loves – a goosedown pillow. I’m supposed to deliver it personally. I guess I’ll wear red on the 14th when I deliver it. We also ate at Cravings, and Jojo joined us. I’m going to miss my bud, Popoy’s like a brother to me. We’ve been through a lot together, mostly kalokohan hehe. But when I needed my friends 4 years ago, he was there. I’m happy he found love again, as he deserves it. See you next December!

Cube Squared

That night, we also played both The Cube and PS2 at James’ house with Wil and Yssa. Wil and Yssa’s bantering was funny to watch! Yssa had a funny quotable quote that night but I can’t remember what it was. Something to do with coins and the greediness involved in getting them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home